PA License Application

The Pennsylvania Drivers License application Process

You must obtain a learner’s permit before you operate a motor vehicle in Pennsylvania. You will need to take and pass the Vision, Knowledge and Road Tests to get your Pennsylvania driver’s license. The steps below outline the basic guide for each step to getting your Pennsylvania Drivers License! Read through the rules carefully and make sure you understand them. A few details to note.

  • Never bring cash! – Check or Money-Order only.
  • Photocopies are no acceptable for ID purposes. Make sure there is a raised seal on your Birth Certificate
  • If there is a question, ask prior to going to the drivers license center – don't stand in line to find out your missing something
  • Check your PennDOT license center best times to avoid crowds

State-Approved Online Drivers Ed

PA license button selection at PennDOT test center

When you are 16 years of age or older, please follow the steps listed below in order to get your non-commercial learner’s permit. You can not apply for your permit before your 16th birthday.

  1. Complete the Non-Commercial Learner’s Permit Application (DL-180) found online here.Print clearly in black or blue ink.
  2. Your health care provider must complete the back of the Non-Commercial Learner’s Permit Application (DL-180). The form must be completed by a Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.), Medical Doctor (M.D.), Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner (C.R.N.P.), Physician’s Assistant (P.A.) or a Doctor of Chiropractic (D.C.), no earlier than six (6) months prior to your 16th birthday. All information must be completed.
  3. If the Driver License Examiner cannot determine whether the information on the Non-Commercial Learner’s Permit Application (DL-180) meets medical standards, your learner’s permit may be delayed. You may be required to undergo additional medical examinations. If you have a condition that seriously impairs your ability to drive, you may be required to get a dual control learner’s permit and learn to drive with a certified instructor.
  4. If you are under 18 years of age, your parent, guardian, person in loco parentis or spouse who is 18 years of age or older must complete the Parent or Guardian Consent Form (DL-180TD) also found online. If the parent/guardian can not accompany the applicant, the DL-180TD must be signed by the parent/guardian in the presence of a notary. Proper identification is required and if last names are different,verification of relationship is needed. If you are over 18 years of age, you must present two (2) proofs of residency:
  • Current Utility Bills (water, gas, electric, cable, etc.).(Note: Bills for mobile, cellular and pagers will not be accepted.)
  • Tax Records.
  • Lease Agreements.
  • W-2 Form.
  • Current Weapons Permit (U.S. Citizens only).
  • Mortgage Documents.

After studying the manual and following the steps listed above, bring the items listed below to the PennDOT Driver License Center when you are ready to take your Knowledge Test:

  • Your completed Non-Commercial Learner’s Permit Application (DL-180). Do not mail this form. If under 18years of age, also bring your completed Parent or Guardian Consent Form (DL-180TD).
  • Proof of date of birth and identification. These documents must be originals (photocopies will not be accepted).The only acceptable proof of identification can be found on the back of the Non-Commercial Learner’s Permit Application (DL-180).
  • Your Social Security card (card must be signed).
  • Your check or money order made payable to Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) for thecorrect amount. Cash, debit or credit cards cannot be accepted.

Drivers License Application Section 1


This chapter will provide the information you need to know about obtaining a Pennsylvania learner’spermit. The areas addressed include:

• Applying for a Learner’s Permit 
• Tests Chapter 1 – Non-Commercial Learner’s Permit Information PA Driver’s Manual



Please Note: Forms of identification that may be used to prove your date of birth are listed on the back ofthe Non-Commercial Learner’s Permit Application (DL-180) along with the fees. (All birth certificates/certification of birth must be state issued).

At the Driver License Center, your vision will be tested. If you wear glasses or contact lenses, please bring them with you. You will then take the Knowledge Test on signs, laws, driving rules and safe practices. After passing the Knowledge Test, the examiner will give you a learner’s permit, 

PennDOT learners permit testing booth rowwhich is valid for one(1) year.

When you receive your learner’s permit, you may begin to practice driving with the proper instructor. If you fail the Knowledge Test, the examiner will return the Non-Commercial Learner’s Permit Application (DL-180) and your Parent or Guardian Consent Form (DL-180TD) to you. You may take the Knowledge Test only one time on any day regardless of test location. Keep your forms in a safe place since you must bring them with you when you are tested again. The Non-Commercial Learner’s Permit Application (DL-180) is valid for one (1) year from thedate of your physical examination; however, the physical examination date may not be more than six (6) months prior to your 16th birthday. If you are under the age of 18, you are required to complete at least 50 hours of behind-the-wheel skill-building before taking your Road Test. This training will help teach you the skills necessary to become a good, safe driver.

REMEMBER: A licensed driver who is at least 21 years of age or a spouse, guardian or parent who is at least 18 years of age and holds a driver’s license must ride with you in the front seat of your vehicle at all times. In addition, drivers under the age of 18 cannot have more passengers in the vehicle than the number of seat belts. After you have waited the mandatory six (6) months from your permit issue date and have a signed certificate of completion for the 50 hours of skill-building, you may take your Road Test. If your learner’s permit expires or if you do not pass your road test after three (3) tries, you may obtain an Application to Add/Extend/Replace/Change/Correct Non-Commercial Learner’s Permit (DL-31). If you are using your learner’s permit for driving outside the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, please check with your insurance company and the other state’s Department of Transportation to make sure your learner’s permit is valid. If any information on your learner’s permit is not correct, bring proof of the correct information to the examiner when you come to the PennDOT Driver License Center for testing.