Quick Tips for PA Photo ID Cards

PA Issued Photo ID card

You can get your government issues photo ID card at any PennDOT license center. The process is simple and quick once you have certian documents that will be needed. The biggest hurdle to getting your state issued ID card is proff of residency and age. The simple answer is that two forms of residency and two forms of ID are needed. You need to be a minimum of 10 years old to get a non-driver state issued photo ID card. This ID card can be used for any identification reasons inside the United States, and is accepted in most other countries.


For ID you will need your origional certified birth certificate. This document will have a raised seal. You can request a replacement PA birth certificate at:



Acceptable Forms of Identification for U.S. Citizens:
  •  Birth Certificate with raised seal (U.S. issued by an authorized government agency, including U.S. territories or Puerto Rico. Non-U.S. Birth Certificates will not be accepted.)
  •  Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (INS Form N-560)
  •  Certificate of Naturalization (INS Form N-550 or N-570)
  •  Valid U.S. Passport
NOTE: Only valid Passports and original documents will be accepted. If the name on your original document differs from your current name, you must  provide documentation that connects the names, such as an original Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree, or Court Order document.
Acceptable List of Documents for Proof of Residency for Applicants 18 Years of Age or Older:
All documents must show the same name and date of birth, or an association between the information on the documents. Additional documentation may be required if a connection between documents cannot be established (e.g. Marriage Certificate, Court Order of name change, Divorce Decree, etc.)
  •  W-2 Form
  •  Current Weapons Permit
  •  Current Utility Bills (water, gas, electric, cable, etc.)
  •  Tax Records
  •  Lease Agreements
  •  Mortgage Documents
NOTE: For Current Utility Bills: Cellular/Mobile or Pager Bills are not acceptable. If you reside with someone, and have no bills in your name, you will  still need to provide two proofs of residency. One proof is to bring the person with whom you reside along with their Drivers License or Photo ID to the Driver License Center. You will also need to provide a second proof of residency such as official mail (bank statement, tax notice, magazine etc.) that  has your name and address on it. The address must match that of the person with whom you reside.