PA Voter ID Requirements & Application

With the new Pennsylvania Voter ID Law you need to know exactly how to get a current Non-Driver Photo ID card from PennDOT. The cost for this new Photo ID will range from free for some residents, to $13.50 for most others. If you have a valid Pennsylvania driver's license, you do not need a new photo ID card unless your license has been expired for more than 12 months.

Find your 2012 PA photo ID card app for the new Votor Id requirements here.

If a voter does not POSSESS PROOF OF IDENTIFICATION FOR VOTING PURPOSES as defined at section 102(z.5)(2) of the Pennsylvania Election Code (25 P.S. § 2602(z.5)(2)) and requires proof of identification for voting purposes, the following applies:

You must declare under oath or affirmation by completing the Oath/ Affirmation Voter ID form that you do not possess any of the following forms of identification: In particular,

-Identification issued by the United States Government that includes my name, a photograph, and an expiration date that is not expired.*

– Identification issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania that includes my name, a photograph, and an expiration date that is not expired (unless issued by the Department of Transportation, then the expiration of the identification cannot be more than 12 months past the expiration date).

– Identification issued by a municipality of this Commonwealth to an employee of that municipality that includes my name, a photograph, and an expiration date that is not expired.

– Identification issued by an accredited Pennsylvania public or private institution of higher learning that includes my name, a photograph, and an expiration date that is not expired.

– Identification issued by a Pennsylvania care facility that includes my name, a photograph, and an expiration date that is not expired.

*In the case of a document from an agency of the armed forces of the United States or their reserve components, including the Pennsylvania National Guard, that establishes the voter as a current member or a veteran of the United States Armed Forces or National Guard and that does not designate a specific date on which the document expires, the document must include a notation indicating that the expiration is indefinite.

$13.50 fee for acquiring an Identification Card will be waived for individuals completing the Oath/ Affirmation Voter ID form. All identification documentation is still required to obtain an Identification Card as follows:

To obtain a Pennsylvania Photo Identification card, an individual needs to visit a Pennsylvania Department of Transportation Driver License Center with a completed Application for an Initial Photo Identification Card; formDL-54A, and the following: 

Social Security Card
One of the following:

  • Certificate of U.S. Citizenship
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Valid U.S. Passport
  • *Birth Certificate with a raised seal


  • Two proofs of **residency such as lease agreements, current utility bills, mortgage documents, W-2 form, tax records


*If they do not have a birth certificate with a raised seal and are a Pennsylvania native; and do not have one of the acceptable, alternative forms of photo identification to vote; and will provide a signed oath/affirmation form, when visiting the PennDOT driver license center, they must:


  • Tell the PennDOT customer service representative they are a Pennsylvania native who needs a photo ID for voting purposes, and do not have a certified copy of their birth certificate;
  • Sign an oath/affirmation that they do not have an acceptable form of ID for voting purposes and the photo ID is needed for voting purposes;
  • Show a Social Security card and two proofs of residence, such as a deed, lease, tax bill, or utility bill;
  • Fill out a DL-54A form requesting a non-driver photo ID and;
  • Complete the HD01564F (Request for Certification of Birth Record for Voter ID Purposes Only) form, which collects information such as birth name, mother and father's name and place of birth. This Department of Health form is available at all Driver Licensing Centers.


PennDOT will then forward the completed form to the Department of Health, which maintains birth records. After verifying the birth record is on file, the Department of Health will securely transmit this information to PennDOT. PennDOT will then notify them by letter that their birth record has been confirmed. They may then return to any driver license center, with the above noted documentation, to receive your free photo ID for voting purposes. This verification process will take about ten days and does not require the payment of a fee.

**Students at least 18 years of age: Accepted proofs of residency include the room assignment paperwork (considered a lease) and one bill with their dorm room address on it. Bank statements, paystubs and credit card bills are all acceptable. Other Individuals who may not have any bills, leases or mortgage documents in their name may bring the person with whom they are living along with their Driver’s License or Photo ID to a driver license center as one proof of residence.

Step 2
When their application and supporting documentation have been reviewed and processed, a Driver License Center staff member will direct the applicant to the Photo Center to have their photo taken for their Photo ID card.

Step 3
Once their photo has been taken, they will be issued a Photo ID card.

License Center Holiday Hours 2012

Take note that PennDOT Driver License & Photo Centers Closed Independence Day  Wednesday July 4th – 06/25/2012

Make sure you are planning your holiday schedule taking into account the PennDOT License Center holiday closings and hours. Because July 4th falls on a Wednesday you can expect heavy traffic on Tuesday and Thursday of the shortened week. Drivers looking to renew their license prior to going away on vacation also need to remember that most driver license centers are closed on Mondays, so all business will need to be conducted on Tuesday.

Harrisburg – The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation today announced that all driver license and photo centers, including its full-service center in Harrisburg, will be closed Wednesday, July 4 in observance of Independence Day.

Customers may still obtain a variety of driver and vehicle products and services online through PennDOT's Driver and Vehicle Services website, Or you can visist us here 

Driver and vehicle online services are available 24-hours-a-day,seven-days-a-week and include driver's license and photo ID renewals; vehicle registration renewals; driver-history services; changes of address; driver license and vehicle registration restoration letters; ability to pay driver license restoration fee or vehicle financial responsibility restoration fee; and exam scheduling.  There are no additional fees for using online services.

A complete listing of PennDOT driver and photo license center closings in 2012 is available on the website under "News, Stats and Facts." PennDOT reminds motorists they can log on to or call 511 from any phone to check traffic conditions before heading out. Follow PennDOT on Twitter at


PennDOT Driver License and Photo Centers Closed for Presidents Day

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation today announced that all driver license and photo centers, including the license centers in Harrisburg, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh, will be closed Saturday, Feb. 18 through Monday, Feb. 20 in observance of the Presidents Day holiday. Make sure you take care of any license related taskes prior to these dates to avoid delay becauseof the holiday or congestion at the license center as people try to catch up from the reduced PA license center holiday hours.

If you still need to take care of driver's license business you can complete some operations on the PennDOT DMV website as usual. You can renew your license, pay a suspended license restoration fee, or update your address or schedule a learner's permit and license test.

There are no additional fees for using online services, and these services will happen instantly in most cases.

A complete listing of PennDOT driver and photo license center closings and hours for 2012 is available at each license center information page


Quick Tips for PA Photo ID Cards

PA Issued Photo ID card

You can get your government issues photo ID card at any PennDOT license center. The process is simple and quick once you have certian documents that will be needed. The biggest hurdle to getting your state issued ID card is proff of residency and age. The simple answer is that two forms of residency and two forms of ID are needed. You need to be a minimum of 10 years old to get a non-driver state issued photo ID card. This ID card can be used for any identification reasons inside the United States, and is accepted in most other countries.


For ID you will need your origional certified birth certificate. This document will have a raised seal. You can request a replacement PA birth certificate at:


Acceptable Forms of Identification for U.S. Citizens:
  •  Birth Certificate with raised seal (U.S. issued by an authorized government agency, including U.S. territories or Puerto Rico. Non-U.S. Birth Certificates will not be accepted.)
  •  Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (INS Form N-560)
  •  Certificate of Naturalization (INS Form N-550 or N-570)
  •  Valid U.S. Passport
NOTE: Only valid Passports and original documents will be accepted. If the name on your original document differs from your current name, you must  provide documentation that connects the names, such as an original Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree, or Court Order document.
Acceptable List of Documents for Proof of Residency for Applicants 18 Years of Age or Older:
All documents must show the same name and date of birth, or an association between the information on the documents. Additional documentation may be required if a connection between documents cannot be established (e.g. Marriage Certificate, Court Order of name change, Divorce Decree, etc.)
  •  W-2 Form
  •  Current Weapons Permit
  •  Current Utility Bills (water, gas, electric, cable, etc.)
  •  Tax Records
  •  Lease Agreements
  •  Mortgage Documents
NOTE: For Current Utility Bills: Cellular/Mobile or Pager Bills are not acceptable. If you reside with someone, and have no bills in your name, you will  still need to provide two proofs of residency. One proof is to bring the person with whom you reside along with their Drivers License or Photo ID to the Driver License Center. You will also need to provide a second proof of residency such as official mail (bank statement, tax notice, magazine etc.) that  has your name and address on it. The address must match that of the person with whom you reside.